A funeral in Trinidad has sent shock to online viewers after the six pall-bearers were filmed on camera dancing to Gage’s ‘Throat’ single while carrying the casket.
A two-minute and forty-second clip showing an excerpt from the funeral, has been circulating online, with many criticising the behaviour of the pall-bearers.
In the clip, an undisclosed DJ seated in a moving car played the raw version of Throat, with a group of T-shirt wearing male pall-bearers grooving to the dancehall beat.
To the shock of some viewers, no member of the funeral proceeding made any attempt to stop the song from playing. Even elderly persons and children were seen moving to the beat, while others chanted the punchline ‘dung inna yu throat’.
Several soca songs were also played by the DJ, however, at the sound of Gage’s controversial song, the audience erupted with excitement. Some viewers of the clip, however, were not pleased.
A viewer commented, ” No sense at all, madness.”
“The act of celebrating the death is far from my concern. But my concern lies within the lyrical content of the song they played. A funeral crowd will consist of the young and old … What about the children that were there? What about the respect for the elderly folks? C’mon people, the edited/clean version of the song could have been played instead of the raw version, hence I described it as ratchet,” another viewer commented.
Another viewer stated, ” Make sure dat DJ don’t play any music wen I’m dead. Kids and grandparents and they’re playing that?”
THE WEEKEND STAR contacted Gage’s manager for comment on the video. However, he was unavailable to speak at news time. He did, however, confirm on Wednesday, that Gage is aware of the funeral video.
This is not the first time the song has raised eyebrows in Trinidad. The song was highlighted last year by Trinidadian comedian Rachel Price during one of her stand-up performances. She said the song was so infectious that females were eating the pants off entertainers.
“Little boy, nothing you have not passing my throat, it aint even passing my (expletive) space teeth,” she warned.
Dancehall artiste Gage has denied Internet rumours that he has disrespected reggae artiste Sizzla in his song called ‘Still A Suck It’. The song is a follow-up to his popular single ‘Throat’, which received backlash from Sizzla in a stage show rant recently.
According to Gage’s manager, Cornelius Daley, YouTube uploaders are seeking views for their channel, by labelling the song a diss to the former Grammy-nominated singer.
“We never do anything to diss Sizzla, the fans and the people who upload on YouTube tek it up and sey is a Sizzla diss. We know it would have caused controversy, which is why we did the song, but I want to categorically state that it is not a disrespect to Sizzla,” the manager said.
Daley says Gage was not affected by Sizza’s bashing of Throat, because everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
“We would never diss Sizzla, he is an icon who set it for us and he is a good person. But he is doing his thing and we are doing ours. Sizzla is free to say what he wants to say and we have no problem with his opinion. But as the new song Still A Suck It states, women have been performing oral sex from the early days and when we all leave this earth they will still be doing it,” he said.
Daley also highlighted that Gage has other materials which are not based on sex. However, the media does not give attention to those songs.
“He has social commentary songs about love, encouragement and mama, yet nobody sees those songs. At the end of the day Sizzla is preaching positive Rasta message and we support that too,” he said.
The manager also disclosed that persons have been supporting the new single on local and international radio. A music video will also be released for Still A SuckIt in coming weeks.
“Me find out say nuff tings a gwaan inna Jamaica and a unuh, the fans, a support it. Unuh as selectors, me nuh want hear no Throat,” Sizzla said in reference to the song from Gage. He further stated; “You see Alkaline and di whole a unuh weh a try pollute this, unuh need fi sing some other lyrics. A unuh madda unuh a dis round yah. Me nuh care a which selector or which sound. Me a bad man and unuh … caan do me nutten.”
Music video by Gully Bop Ft. M Gee performing Life Too Sweet. © 2015 GS Music.
Says image was ‘photoshopped’ to hurt her career
Dancehall artiste Spice has responded to an alleged picture of her that has been circulating via social media.
The picture depicts a young woman wearing glasses, who bears a striking similarity to Spice, performing oral sex on a man.
In responding to the photoshopped picture, the So Me Like It deejay stated that “badmind is a hell of a ting”.
“Woke up, and they are sending around a ‘photoshopped’ picture claiming its me…I buss out a laugh when I saw it, because I was like, why would I be… with glasses on, though? … Well, unuh have nuff more pics fi make because me nah stop dis year, and mi a go harder, so unuh can start plan a suicide.
“The time you take trying to bring me down, you would use the time and put it in your own life. God have mi ting govern, so unuh can’t bring mi down. ‘Cause a weh God say, a nuh weh man say,” a statement from the deejay read.
This is the second time in recent weeks that a fake image of an artiste has made its way to social media. Earlier this year, Pamputtae denied reports that she, too, was involved in an explicit pic. It was later revealed that the picture was of a porn star.
In the meantime, Spice has been busy promoting her latest singles, Back Bend and Conjugal Visit. The artiste recently returned to the island after a successful tour of France.
Mr Wacky would have celebrated birthday today
Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter
The day dancer Gerald ‘Bogle’ Levy died was a sad one and remains vividly etched in the memories of those who held him dear to their hearts.
At 40, Bogle’s death was certainly unexpected. The dancer was in the prime of his career and was creating waves with the popular ‘Willie Bounce’ dance move.
But on January 20, 2005, all of that came to a halt when he was shot and killed at a service station along Constant Spring Road, St Andrew. It was reported that Bogle had an altercation with men at Weddy Weddy Wednesdays, which was being held at the Stone Love headquarters on Burlington Avenue, in Half-Way Tree, St Andrew. After leaving the venue, it is said that Bogle and his entourage were at the service station when the gunmen struck.
That memory remains with Elephant Man, who was partying with Bogle at Weddy Weddy Wednesdays earlier that night.
“Me and him deh Weddy Weddy a party. Mi leave and go home and hear that news, it was so shocking. I was so down. A mi bona fide bredrin and mi did just see him, so it was very bad news for me. The whole place crumble when wi hear,” Elephant Man told THE STAR.
At the time, Ding Dong was still a newcomer in the industry. He said he saw Bogle the Tuesday before at an event and they were planning to ‘par’ at Weddy Weddy the following night.
“The Wednesday night him call me and ask if mi nah do road. Two persons did come fi mi and mi tell dem seh mi nah come cause mi nah feel it,” he recalled to THE STAR.
“Mi get a call inna mi sleep seh Bogle dead. Mi call Boysie and mi call Keiva and couldn’t get dem. Fi di whole day mi nuh eat, mi nuh sleep. Mi couldn’t believe, it shock mi. That was a sad day, a big loss.”
Following Bogle’s death, Ding Dong said many dancers and artistes stopped attending parties. It was after the funeral, he said that more persons started going out again.
Voicemail’s Kevin Blair was also in disbelief when he heard the news.
“Is like the same feeling I got when I heard that O’neil (Voicemail member) got shot. That numbness. It was like an automatic void. And he was coming from a dance, something he loved so dearly. You just ask yourself why. You are just at a loss for words,” he said.
In death, Blair said Bogle can be remembered for the major role he played in dancehall and the impact he continues to have.
“He (Bogle) was the one who injected dance in dancehall. He has been a part of so many artistes’ careers over the years. He is the one that made other persons want to dance. He is definitely a plug in dancehall, and you can’t plug him out no time,” he said.
Onstage Interview: Alkaline Plans To Take Over Dancehall With His Own Rules!
Onstage: Kym, Formerly Gaza Kim Is Determine To Continue Musical Journey Despite Been Blacklisted.
GAZA KYM LIVE
Up to press time last night, a high-level meeting was being held at the Horizon Adult Remand Centre, moments after authorities foiled an alleged plot to kill entertainer Vybz Kartel.
Information reaching THE STAR is that the alleged murder scheme against the popular artiste involved fellow inmates and a member of the prison’s ancillary staff.
Efforts by our news team to speak with Commissioner of Corrections Ina Fairweather proved futile yesterday. However, when THE STAR contacted the Horizon Adult Remand Centre, we were told that the respective personnel who could speak to the media were in a meeting.
THE STAR gathered that the ancillary staff member in question allegedly confessed to being apart of the plot, in that she was instructed to take certain things inside the prison.
She reportedly told officials that she was directed by the inmates to pick up three rachet knives and two bottles allegedly containing skin poisoning disguised as lotion and take them into the facility.
Unconfirmed reports are that these items were later unearthed inside the prison.
THE STAR further understands that the alleged inmates were planning to attack the deejay at some point when both were released from their cells.
Kartel and three co-accused were convicted last year and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams.
Kartel has since instructed his lawyers to file an appeal
An online petition to the United States president was created recently, requesting that dancehall artiste Mavado be deported from the country because of his past convictions.
The petition, which was created on Sunday, January 11, was posted on a section of the White House’s website called ‘We the People.’
It states: “Reggae artiste David Brooks is a non-citizen felon residing in the USA. He was convicted in May 2012 in Jamaica for serious assault … It is grossly unfair that undocumented immigrants with NO serious criminal records are deported daily while a convicted felon, such as Mavado, has carte blanche to live and work here.”
The petition was signed by ‘Concern US citizen’ Trudy A. Brown from Gapland, Maryland, in the United States.
The petition also included two links to stories that detailed how US State Department Law Enforcement Officer, David Rainsberger, admitted to accepting expensive gifts and back stage passes to concerts and events while stationed at the US Embassy in Kingston from an entertainer known as ‘D.B.’
‘We the People’ was created by the Obama administration to give Americans the opportunity to petition the administration’s policy experts. It states that the petitions must meet a quota of approximately 10,000 signatures for it to be reviewed by the officials in the administration and then an official response would be issued.
The petition to have Mavado deported, after it was created on the weekend, has received a total of seven signatures so far.
Mavado, who has reportedly been in the United States for over a year, is signed to American record producer DJ Khaled’s record label, We the Best.
Recently, news broke that the dancehall artiste filed a lawsuit against Member of Parliament for West Rural St Andrew, Paul Buchanan, after issues developed in a $20 million housing deal between the two parties.
Reggae artiste Chronixx was not snubbed by the Grammy Awards. According to his manager, Daddi Barnz, the Dread and Terrible project was not an album, despite being presented with a title and professional packaging, therefore it would not have been a part of the Grammy Awards’ selections.
“We are signed up with the Grammys, but it was an EP movement and not really a project for the Grammys, this was more for the fans. We are thankful for the nominees because they should be there and we are still promoting the Dread and Terrible project,” Daddi Barnz told The STAR.
Chronixx’s Dread and Terrible project was recently named by Billboard as one of the top selling reggae projects of 2014, along with Ziggy Marley’s Grammy-nominated compilation, Fly Rasta. Sean Paul’s Full Frequency was also nominated for a Grammy along with Maxi Priest’s Easy To Love.
Daddi Barnz also disclosed that the sales of Chronixx’s album was related to the planning and preparation placed into the structure of his career.
“We are pleased to see that reggae is still selling, even though record sales are really things of the past. Artistes should not really focus on selling a top 10 record, but to create a brand for themselves. That is what the West Coast bands are doing, they are promoting and taking advantage of the streaming platforms,” he said.
“We planned for this and that is why our project was a success – we touched some of the main markets and we made use of the platforms. Also, after the Jimmy Fallon
performance, our album went back to number one and we give thanks for that. All we need in reggae music is structure.”
Barnz also said promotion of the Dread and Terrible project remains in full gear. He also revealed that Chronixx would be embarking on a US West Coast tour, which will also feature reggae artistes Kellisa and Keznamdi.
“There is a lot of life left in the Dread and Terrible, and we are still focused because it has only been released for about nine months,” he said.
Chronixx is also promoting a new collaboration called Tenement Yard which features reggae icons Jacob Miller and Inner Circle. The song is a remake of the classic Tenement Yard single.
The 57th Grammy Awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, February 8, 2015.